You need to network! It’s advice many hear, know they should act upon, but yet dread and/or avoid.
“I don’t know how to prepare for a networking event. “
“I don’t know what to say when I’m there.”
“I don’t know how to follow up after networking.”
If this sounds like you, listen to the short clips below. Kim Caccamise, a Corporate Recruiter for Oldcastle Precast, offers her insight on making the process easier, and – dare we say it – even enjoyable.
Step 1 – How to prepare for a networking event
1) Be mentally prepared
2) Dress appropriately for the type of event
3) Have your questions ready
4) Research the event and attendees before you go
5) Initiate conversations while you’re there
Step 2 – Overcoming networking fear
Even extroverts can have trouble networking, so don’t beat yourself up about it. Kim has suggestions for the timid too!
1) It’s all about asking the right questions
2) Learn when the magic of networking really happens
Step 3 – Last but not least – the meat of it – how to be successful at a networking event
1) Don’t hang out with people you know
2) It sounds silly, but fresh breath is key – bring mints, sip on some water
3) Smile, engage in eye contact and make your introductions
4) Break the ice, build rapport, ask questions – have your value statement ready!
5) Explore opportunities on how you can help each other
6) Follow through with promises when you follow up after the event
“You’re always coming from an angle of helping the person you’re talking with, because they’ll automatically want to help you back.”
Networking is not meant to be a chore. It’s an opportunity to grow personally and professionally. Knowing how to act and what to say is half the battle!
If you enjoyed these videos, check out our other career related clips on YouTube.
Looking for more networking advice? Check out this post: How to Network If You Don’t Like To Network – 6 Tips For The Timid.
Oldcastle is North America’s largest manufacturer of building products and materials. With more than 2,000 locations throughout North America, we are in constant pursuit of the next generation of successful decision makers, leaders and problem solvers. Learn more about joining the Oldcastle team HERE.